Puppy Love, Inc. is a non profit organization with a primary mission to rescue dogs from areas in the south affected by natural or man-made disasters, including high kill shelters, and place them in appropriate homes and shelters in the state of Maine. All rescue dogs are provided veterinary treatment, foster homes and permanent loving homes. Puppy Love provides screening, counseling and support to adoptive families to promote responsible and safe adoption decisions. All interactions with the public are viewed as opportunities for education regarding risks associated with pet overpopulation, the merit of adoption versus breeding, and the importance of spaying and neutering pets.
A critical link in the rescue of an animal is our foster home network. Compliance with Maine regulations requires that all animals entering from out of state be quarantined a minimum of 48 hours if over the age of 6 months, and five days if under 6 months of age. All animals are quarantined for a minimum of 14 days, and receive veterinary treatment including vaccinations, heartworm screening and sterilization before they are transported to Maine. Puppy Love depends solely on foster homes to satisfy the Maine quarantine requirement when they arrive here, and, without foster homes, the animals cannot enter the state to await adoption. All animals available for adoption will be posted on our website and Petfinder.com. Foster home screening is completed by a Puppy Love representative.
Puppy Love pays for all veterinary treatment while in foster care. Donations are gratefully accepted.
The duties of foster parents are:
- Provide food, water, toys, shelter, nurturing
- Transportation to the veterinarian, if necessary, with Puppy Love representative approval
- Provide information to Puppy Love regarding the dog’s personality, temperament and behavior
- Communicate with potential adoptive parents r number), and, when deemed appropriate by a Puppy Love representative, set up a time for the potential parent(s) to visit with the foster dog
- Complete adoption paperwork, including reviewing all documents, signing contract, collecting adoption fee and forwarding to Puppy Love, 9 Briar Ledge Lane, Bailey Island, ME 04003
WE SINCERELY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP!!!!!!!! Please spread the word! If you would like to foster a dog, please fill out the information below. The animals will be forever grateful!